Wedding Planning Timeline: Checklist. 12 months+. Yay! You’re engaged! Now let’s get your wedding planning process game on! Get started with your Wedding Planning Checklist. Starting your wedding planning timeline? We’ve created this handy free wedding planning checklist to help you handle the details of your wedding day! Oh yes, you can definitely be your own wedding planner!
With this guide, you can manage the planning process with ease – your ultimate wedding planning timeline checklist guide!
- 8 (eight) or more months ahead
- 4 (four) to 6 (six) months ahead
- 2 (two) to 4 (four) months ahead
- 1 (one) to 2 (two) months ahead
- 2 (two) weeks ahead
- 1 (one) week ahead
- 1 (one) day ahead
- YOUR WEDDING DAY!
This site contains affiliate links. For more info, please see our full disclosure.
Before we get into the details, it will help break down these tasks into timelines and set deadlines to ensure you actively decide on them appropriately and plan with ease and less stress! You can check out more of the step-by-step process we shared here.
8 (eight) or more months ahead
- Start browsing and defining your plan. Do you want a small or big wedding? Formal or informal? Summer, fall, spring, or winter wedding? Did you want an outdoor wedding? What will your wedding ceremony and wedding reception look like?
- Start compiling inspirational pictures from magazines and social media to help your wedding vendors capture your wedding vision better.
- Set your budget.
- This is the best time to consider hiring a wedding planner or wedding coordinator, or even just speaking to a consultant! (they are amazing and will take a lot of load off your shoulders!)
- Start working on your guest list.
- Finalize your wedding date
- Start searching for wedding vendors.
- Book the 2 most important things: the ceremony and reception (venue).
- Book officiant.
- Order wedding invitations, thank you notes, gift tags, etc. (email invitations, if preferred)
- Build a wedding website (wedding websites are super helpful for you and your guests!)
- Book wedding caterer (if applicable)
- Also, book your event and floral designer. (this process can take longer and might be a tricky one to budget!)
- Secure your wedding photographer and videographer.
- Finalize your DJ, band, and entertainment.
- Order your wedding cake from a wedding cake designer.
- This is the best time to send save-the-dates.
- Decide on who will be at your bridal party.
- Start dress hunting and book it after shopping trips to 3 different boutiques – we feel that anything more than that will confuse you more.
- Go to your travel consultant and book your honeymoon (seriously! This gets you super excited!)
- Shop for your accessories and shoes! (this is a fun time with the girls!)
- This is the best time to decide if you are going to have an engagement party (if you are, then start booking your venue or restaurant)
- Read about time-saving wedding planning tips here to help you with your wedding planning process
4 (four) to 6 (six) months ahead
- If you are renting other equipment, this is the best time to do so, like tents, tables, chairs, etc. (especially for outdoor / garden / backyard wedding!)
- Book your wedding limo (or jeep!) – if this is your preference!
- Start your wedding registry (seriously, clicking on the bar codes is just way too much fun!)
- Go for your wedding ring fitting (and buy them, of course!)
- Have your partner and the guys go for their wedding suit (or any attire they are going for!)
- Shop bridesmaids’ dresses with your girls.
- This is definitely NOT a MUST, but it’s a good thing to ask your parents, grandparents, soon to be in- laws if they have some special request or want to incorporate anything in your wedding (especially for interfaith/blended). It’s nice to ask for their input. Not mandatory, but a small act of sweetness goes a long way.
- Have a fitting date with your mom and mom-to-be for their wedding outfit/s.
- Start shopping for wedding favors/bonbonnieres.
- If you have out-of-town guests, plan their accommodation.
- Mail your physical invitations or send your email invitations (Do you think it’s too soon? Nah. We don’t think so! You give your guests more time to plan and block off your wedding day, especially if it is a summer wedding!)
2 (two) to 4 (four) months ahead
- Finalize your food selection (tasting sessions are amazing!)
- Choose the readings for the ceremony (Love is patient.. Love is kind..)
- If you want to personalize your ceremony and write wedding vows, this is the best time to get on it (get ready though, this might be a tear-jerker!)
- Schedule your rehearsal dinner (coordinate with your church/venue and then you can always book a restaurant for dinner and thank everyone for their wonderful participation!) – also consider. your wedding rehearsal dinner venue!
- Time for your hair and make-up trial with your make-up artist! (this is fun! But don’t spoil it by taking selfies and posting them on social media! Surprise your guests with how stunning you will look on your day!)
- Check on your RSVP list (Uhm. Why haven’t these people RSVPd yet?)
- Talk about and plan your engagement session with your photographer! (if you haven’t done so!)
- Also, if you haven’t finalized the details that you have planned for after the wedding.
1 (one) to 2 (two) months ahead
- This is the best time to shop for the rest of the little details – guestbook, signing pen, toasting glasses. TIP: Create a box and add a label on it and write on the accessories you put in it, so you know where everything is EXACTLY.
- Check on all your prints; programs, tags, menus, place cards, etc.
- Consider starting on your seating plan. TIP: Draw circles and add individual thin page markers sticky notes and write your guest’s name on them – so it’s easier to move them around later on. (download the seating chart guide here)
- Start packing for your honeymoon (if you’re leaving right after your wedding!)
- So just to throw it out there, if you have already purchased your wedding shoe (which you should’ve by now!), try walking around the house with it. Probably just an hour or 2. Why? So you’re completely comfortable with it on your wedding day and just so to break in into those shoes.
- Start working on your wedding day-of timeline
- If you have planned post-wedding activities, this is also the time to finalize them
2 (two) weeks ahead
- CRUNCH TIME!! Just kidding!
- This is when you should be doing your final dress fitting! There might be some tears shed, especially if you’re bringing your tribe and parents!
- Wear your wedding shoes again! Lol! Seriously. Walk-in them. Dance in them if you can.
- Usually, we like telling brides that this is the best time for a bridal party pow- wow. Have your bridal party over and have some coffee, tea, or snacks. Rundown details with everyone, assign specific responsibilities, like handing out corsages, walking the guests in the venue, etc., and thank them in advance.
- This is a good time to run through your “last-minute” wedding details list
1 (one) week ahead
- So remember that seating plan with the stickies earlier on this wedding planning timeline? Time to get them finalized and sent to your caterer and venue.
- PICK UP YOUR DRESS!
- Confirm your honeymoon arrangements and check your suitcase to ensure you have everything.
- Get your nails done (get shellac or extensions so it’ll last until your honeymoon!) and hair did! (gotta get those roots under control!)
- Shop for bridal party gifts (if applicable)
1 (one) day ahead
- Rehearsal dinner time! Make sure to toast to your hubby and everyone involved. Don’t forget to give gifts for your wedding party.
- Go over your timeline one last time and set your alarm accordingly (you don’t want to sleep through your wedding!)
- Prepare envelopes with tips and payments (if applicable) and make sure to assign someone to distribute them (someone you trust! Like mom or your maid of honor!)
YOUR WEDDING DAY!
It is the end of our wedding planning timeline because it is now officially your wedding day! Woot!
- YAY! OMG! It’s finally here! Your wedding day! Here are some tips on what to do on the morning of your wedding!
- You’re at the end of your wedding planning timeline!
- Chill, have a bubbly, and ENJOY! xo
There you are! Your Wedding Planning Timeline!